Text to Gcode help

NCPlot questions or comments

Text to Gcode help

Postby zbench » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm thinking of buying the full version of NCPlot and have downloaded and used the free trial version.

I want to use the program to quickly and easily convert simple Text to Gcode ready to mill. I've done it but I have a problem that I need to figure out.

I need the text to appear "backwards" so that it looks normal when you look at it in the mirror. Why would you want to do this you ask? I want to mill a URL in the bottom of a mould. When the material is poured in, the depression needs to be backwards so it appears "normal" when it is removed.

I see that there are mirror commands, but I have not been able to figure out how to "invert" my text to Gcode output to be a true mirror image.

Any ideas?
zbench

Re: Text to Gcode help

Postby scottmartinez » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Doesn't the mirror tool give the results you need? Mirroring in the X axis will give you backwards readable text. Unless you need raised lettering... that's something different altogether.

Scott
scottmartinez
Site Admin

Postby zbench » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Scott,

I did figure it out. I didn't realize after the mirror operation you had to "refresh" the drawing to see the revised output.

I have a new question before I'm ready to declare victory. I am using a very small endmill, 1/32" so I can get good resolution on letters about .250" high. I notice that there is no way to prevent the program from making the letters wider than the width of the endmill. I can improve it some by fooling around with various fonts, but the centers of "A" get obliterated because of the double trace. Is there anyway to prevent the widening of the tool path other than using different fonts?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
zbench

Postby scottmartinez » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Pete,

For small lettering I think the single stroke fonts work the best. I've seen some single stroke true type fonts around, although I don't personally have any I could send you. You could also use StickFont, which is free from our web site.

Scott
scottmartinez
Site Admin

Return to Questions / Comments